Delve into the world of supergraphs with our comprehensive course designed for modern API developers. Supergraphs represent a breakthrough in API design, offering a unified, interconnected data layer from various subgraphs. In this course, you will learn the intricacies of building subgraphs, connecting them to your data supergraph using Hasura’s versatile data connectors, and infusing them with custom business logic to work seamlessly across teams.
What will I learn?
This tutorial is designed to give you a complete overview of how to model and architect a data supergraph using Hasura v3. By the end of this tutorial, you will have a working supergraph — complete with separate subgraphs that include relational data sources and custom business logic hosted by Hasura — deployed to Hasura DDN, our global and near-instant data delivery network.
- Understand the concept of a supergraph.
Subgraph and Supergraph Management
- Identify subgraphs in an organization.
- Create relationships across models in subgraphs.
- Test changes to a subgraph with other production supergraph metadata.
Development and Customization
- Add custom business logic using the TypeScript connector.
- Use watch mode to develop custom business logic and get instant feedback in your API.
- Create relationships with the aid of LSP.
Environment and Build Management
- Create environments for a DDN project.
- Create build profiles for individual subgraphs (teams).
Deployment and Integration
- Deploy a custom connector to Hasura DDN.
What will we be building?
We'll build an e-commerce supergraph that mimics the real world by simulating a series of development teams that must work collaboratively to build their subgraphs independently. Each team will be responsible for a subgraph that represents a different part of the e-commerce application. Our teams are:
- User Experience
- Product Management
- Payment Processing
- Fulfillment Services
What do I need to take this tutorial?
We'll go into more detail in the next section, but you'll need:
- The new Hasura CLI
- The Hasura VS Code extension (optional, but recommended)
- A Hasura DDN account
- Completion of the Hasura Basics v3 course
How long will this tutorial take?
About 90 mins.
We'll link to the docs throughout this tutorial, but if you feel like opening them up in a new tab, here they are.
- Build apps and APIs 10x faster
- Built-in authorization and caching
- 8x more performant than hand-rolled APIs