GraphQL is becoming the new way to use APIs in modern web and mobile apps.
However, learning new things always takes time and without getting your hands dirty, it’s very hard to understand the nuances of a new technology.
So, we put together a powerful and concise course that will introduce you to GraphQL and integrating GraphQL into your frontend stack, in the shortest amount of time possible.
We will explore the fundamentals of GraphQL and the things that make GraphQL especially suitable for modern applications, like its realtime capabilities! The course is light on opinions so that once you grok the fundamentals you can go on to choose your favorite libraries, tools and tailor your workflow.
Key topics and takeways:
- GraphQL vs REST
- GraphQL queries, mutations, subscriptions
- Setting up a GraphQL client
- Integrating GraphQL queries in your flutter app
- Integrating GraphQL mutations in your app to change data on the server
- Updating local state after a GraphQL mutation (TextInput) using cache
- Automatic updates to local state and UI after mutations
- Using subscriptions with subscription components
- Building a real-time feed with notifications using mutations and subscriptions
What will we be building?
We will be building a realtime todo app using authenticated GraphQL APIs.
Will this course teach Flutter as well?
No, we will be simulating a scenario where we already have a GraphQL API and the basic UI of a flutter app built. Our task in this scenario is to integrate the GraphQL APIs into our flutter app to build a complete and working app.
What do I need to take this tutorial?
You need to have flutter installation done.
How long will this tutorial take?
Less than 2 hours
Backend: Building a realtime GraphQL backend with Hasura in 30 mins (ideal for frontend, backend or fullstack developers)