GraphQL is becoming the new way to use APIs in modern web and mobile apps. GraphQL is strongly typed. Using typed language like Typescript or ReScript along with GraphQL will help us build end-to-end type safe applications which are less error prone.
In this course we will learn how to integrate GraphQL into ReScript React applications.
We will explore the fundamentals of GraphQL and the things that make GraphQL especially suitable for modern applications, like its realtime capabilities! The course is light on opinions so that once you grok the fundamentals you can go on to choose your favorite libraries, tools and tailor your workflow.
Key topics and takeaways:
- GraphQL vs REST
- GraphQL queries, mutations, subscriptions
- Setting up a Apollo GraphQL client in ReScript React app
- Integrating GraphQL queries in your ReScript React app
- Integrating GraphQL mutations with query variables to handle form input
- Updating local state after a GraphQL mutation (form input) using Apollo cache
- Optimistic updates to local state and UI after GraphQL mutations for a slick UX
- Integrating subscriptions in ReScript React app
- Building a real-time feed with notifications using mutations and subscriptions
What will we be building?
We will be building a realtime todo app using authenticated GraphQL APIs.
Try this deployed version of the app to see what we'll be building: https://learn-hasura-todo-app.netlify.com/
Will this course teach React and ReScript concepts as well?
No, we will be simulating a scenario where we already have a GraphQL API and the basic UI of a ReScript React app built. Our task in this scenario is to integrate the GraphQL APIs into our ReScript React app to build a complete and working app.
What do I need to take this tutorial?
You need to have npm/yarn & node 8+ running.
How long will this tutorial take?
Less than 2 hours
Backend: Building a realtime GraphQL backend with Hasura in 30 mins (ideal for frontend, backend or fullstack developers)
About the community authors
- Build apps and APIs 10x faster
- Built-in authorization and caching
- 8x more performant than hand-rolled APIs