GraphQL is becoming the new way to use APIs in modern web and mobile apps. Svelte is a framework for building fast user interfaces.
Curious to learn how to integrate GraphQL in a svelte app? Then this course is for you.
We will explore the fundamentals of GraphQL and the things that make GraphQL especially suitable for modern applications, like its realtime capabilities! and learn how to build apps with GraphQL and Svelte.
Key topics and takeways:
- GraphQL vs REST
- GraphQL queries, mutations, subscriptions
- Setting up a GraphQL client with Apollo
- Integrating GraphQL queries in your svelte app
- Integrating GraphQL mutations with query variables to handle form input
- Updating local state after a GraphQL mutation (form input) using Apollo cache
- Optimistic updates to local state and UI after GraphQL mutations for a slick UX
- Integrating GraphQL subscriptions in your svelte app
- Building a real-time feed with notifications using mutations and subscriptions
What will we be building?
We will be building a realtime todo app using authenticated GraphQL APIs.
Try this deployed version of the app to see what we'll be building: https://learn-hasura-todo-app.netlify.com/
Will this course teach Svelte concepts as well?
No, we will be simulating a scenario where we already have a GraphQL API and the basic UI of a Svelte app built. Our task in this scenario is to integrate the GraphQL APIs into our svelte app to build a complete and working app.
If you're new to Svelte, we recommend going through the official docs and then coming back here!
What do I need to take this tutorial?
You need to have npm/yarn & node 8+ running.
How long will this tutorial take?
Less than 2 hours
Backend: Building a realtime GraphQL backend with Hasura in 30 mins (ideal for frontend, backend or fullstack developers)